Socializing on social media is something I love to do, especially on Instagram and Twitter. I’m less of a fan of Facebook, but I love the snippets of life I can get in 140 characters.
What I like less are the “BUY MY BOOK” or “WATCH THIS NOW” posts or auto-DMs on social media. I think there is a fine line between self-promotion and socializing. OK, it’s not a fine line. It’s a damn obvious one! Trust me, there’s nothing less interesting to me than you constantly talking about how great your book is. In fact, it’s off-putting and the moment I receive the auto-DM asking me to buy your book or join your mailing list, I unfollow.
Why join social media if not to be social? I’m much more interested in the minutiae of your day* (unless it involves how many times you’ve gone to the bathroom) and relating to you as a fellow human being. Do you have a cute cat? A creative way to deal with stress? Are you a gamer? Did a current world event touch you? This is the stuff I want to see. I want to know your thoughts, what makes you laugh, what inspires you.
I believe in the 80/20 rule when it comes to social media. Sure, 20% can go into self-promotion… preferably soft promo. But the other 80% should show me the person behind the book or product. What else happens in your life?
If we think of social media as a way to connect and try to remember that instead of being face-to-face, there’s a screen between us, that can help us remember we’re talking to people. And people want to be noticed. Heed ye the rules of social media etiquette and remember: we’re more likely to notice your humanity and connect with that, than we are your attempts to promote and sell yourself. 😉